Monday, March 30, 2009

The Man Has Some Hang-ups

(Blogger's Note: In one of the many comments sent in last week, one writer referred to me as a "White Supremacist." I find this ironic, actually humorous. I am writing this blog, about a book I am writing, based on fiction. However, as I have mentioned previously, I did work at an Indian run, Bangalore based company and did experience numerous adventures while there.

Supremacy, I have come to realize, is a lifestyle for many. It has little to do with race, but more with culture. The company within this fictional blog is built on the hard work and talent of a group of wonderful people in Bangalore, India. They are hard working, and professional. They are also underpaid and treated by the CEO of the fictional company I am writing about, like garbage. That has to do with his personal feelins of Supremacy. As a matter of fact, the character treats everyone that way, and as a reader, you will be introduced to his Supreme demeanor in the way he treats women, executives, waiters, waitresses and others whom he feels are subservient. The CEO character in this blog, general electrified - again fiction - feels he is so Supreme, that he will later say in one chapter in the book, "I never knew how to empty garbage until I moved to America." Now it seems he has learned how to create it.

As far as the White Supremacy comment, it was made by a person from a class society who has never been challenged before less the challenger would be shunned, fired, or worse. Of course within this blog, the challenger did get fired. And once again, the comment's author is throwing the stones as a defense for the life lived.)

Now on with the story…

Time passes as slowly as cars move in stand-still traffic, especially when the person on the other end of the phone has been ranting about customer service and damaged goods for what seems like a decade. Its a strange way to speak of a human being unless you don't look at underlings as human beings. After reminiscing about our apparent psuedo friendship, I came back to the world I was driving in. As the car behind me started its engine and traffic cleared I heard general electrified come up for air.

"Do you understand what I am saying," he said.

"Actually, you have been talking for over 15 minutes and I don't think I heard a lot of it," I said, knowing the frustration level had hit the crest I waited for his response.

"If you do not stop talking about customer service we are going to have to go our separate ways." The general said.

"What does that mean?"

"You know exactly what it means. Separate ways," he said.

"General, are you using the "F" word on a Friday? I asked.

"What word?'

"The 'F' word," I said, adding "Are you firing me?"

"Yes, you're fired." The general said.

"I knew it. I knew you didn't have the balls to do it in person. You had to do over the phone on a Friday afternoon. That is just like you. I am surprised you didn't send the co-founder out to do it like you did when you got rid of Mike Maxwell in Detroit. Remember him? You claimed he was a racist because he complained about customer service?"

"O.K. I'll fire you the next time you come in, on Monday. Are you coming in on Monday?"

"Come in on Monday, so you can fire me? No. I am taking vacation until after Thanksgiving. I'll be in a week from Monday." I said, half serious, half kidding.

"O.K. fine. I will fire you then. Good bye," he said as the phone went dead.

Finally, it looked like I could spend a weekend without a barrage of emails from the general who assumes if you are sending emails to you employees, you are running your company.


Tomorrow: The difference between customer service and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment